Google+1 Plug-in

I just released the Dokuwiki Plugin - GPlusOne for the management of the “+1” Google button within the Dokuwiki wiki sites.

The existing http://www.dokuwiki.org/plugin:googleplusone plugin doesn't meet my requirements: the button position is fixed, it is supported only German, you cannot customize the look of the button, … hence the need to put the hands on the source code.

The choice was to write a new plugin, I don't like the jQuery approach used by the original plugin and completely it lacks of any administration / integration with the editor. Obviously starting from scratch means “recycle” the template already used for other plugins…

On this occasion have been updated the other two plugins that I have written. To the plugin for barcode was added the support to the translation plugin. If it is installed will be used to detect the language for barcode messages. The organization chart plugin has been updated with the last version of the applet, there are now more options to draw more compact organization chart (e.g. by reversing the orientation of the last level of leaves).

Good use! m(

17/05/2015 13:44 · 36 Comments

A new layout

Old site

Goodbye old site, it's time to change.

In this round the restyling was really drastic and stems from the desire to make the site responsive and more oriented to content.

After almost twenty years of honorable service the old horseshoe template retired in favor of a “paper” layout in which the not essentials elements were moved into secondary positions. The sidebar has been significantly lightened (and shifted to the right) offsetting the reduction with the introduction of a new navigation bar and a “fixed” footer with the Wiki commands. Even in the composition of the text I tried to get closer to the printed paper model introducing some typical typographic elements (justified text, line spacing, …) not very common within Web sites.

Even the color scheme is changed, after the black, green, purple is the turn of the white/orange, this time the color scheme can boast a greater number of adopters. Goodbye also to the old logo that remebered to much the graphic of home computers of the late 80s…

The work is not yet finished, the search bar/translation buttons do not convince me, spacing still need to be touched up, adaptation to various resolutions is only sketched and the version for mobile phone displays still needs a lot of work to switch from “visible” to really “usable”.

The mobile site remained unchanged, its fate is linked to the evolution of eIrOcA Portal System and I think that will remain as it is for a while…

The DokuWiki template

Technically, the restyling has required the creation of a new template for DokuWiki and to renew my curses towards CSS and JavaScript, how I miss the first version of the site where I was proud of the words “No JavaScript” (and the CSS didn't exist yet :)

As the first eIrOcA template is very old, I thought it was best to start from the new default template rather than to evolve the old template. On paper, the advantages were many, the template is responsive and compliant with the new versions, does not use tables for layout of text, … obviously starting to work on it the limitations are emerged. The template has a naming of the classes/id not completly intuitive and the structure of divs and CSS is a fragile house of cards that collapses as soon as you try to introduce some upset (but here the CSS are the main cause).

After a day of zero progresses the time has come to change course and rewrite the layout from scratch. Here, at the beginning, progress has been striking, finally it was no time spent to discover the files that cointain the CSS fragments impacted by the layout change, the problems came later, when the secondary functions of the wiki, or some plugins, reference to naming/structure that no longer exists (and in this sense I would say that the work is not yet finished).

As soon as I do some testing on all of the features (although the ones not used within the eIrOcA site) I will try to release the template in the DokuWiki repositories, until then, the development version is available within the code repository at SourceForge.

That’s all, good navigation.

17/05/2015 13:44 · 5 Comments

Blog is open

Blog Even if there was no real good reasons I started this new section of the site. The hope is to be able to have an area where to archive fragments of thought that was not easy to insert into the traditional pages of the site.

Needless to say, the incubation of the idea has required time, main reflection is definitely if I was ever able to update the blog with a minimum of regularity, the previous experience updating the site is not encouraging, but the formula of free speech could better adapt to writing during the breaks. If I will not able to have a minimum of regularity this section may be closed. Probably the dual Italian/English version will be impractical and some of the posts will be written in only one language.

The second thought was what tool to use in writing this blog. The choice was to use the DokuWiki plugin dedicated to blogging. Probably it is not the best technology choice if compared to the features that are present in optimized blogging platforms, but the big advantage is that it is integrated out-of-the box with the rest of the site. However the basic functions of blog management are present, and not knowing how to evolve the blog, seemed to me more than enough. In particular, I tried to insert the comments section (otherwise “blog” is meaningless), at the beginning comments will be moderated and depending on how it goes (interest to comment, spam attacks, time required for moderation, …) will definitely be the first section to see a review.

Having exceeded 256 words, I would say that’s all :-)

17/05/2015 13:44 · 4 Comments